Next Run: Brussels 42K

2012-10-07 09:00:00 GMT+01:00

Rainradar

Click on the image or here for large image!

Saturday 16 June 2007

Running in Poland

Last week I found myself in a different environment for running. Instead of the well kept level bicycle paths of Holland I found myself on (dirt) roads in the hills of Poland. I have been there before and I always enjoy the change off environment.
Running in Poland is not as popular as in Holland so you tend to turn some heads while your running. Furthermore most roads outside the towns do not have a path for cyclists or pedestrians. On the other hand: Beside for the main roads there are many smaller roads connecting smaller towns or more isolated houses that have no busy traffic and are therefore perfect for running.
I did two runs in the surrounding of Kielce. A medium sized city in the heart of the country. I started both runs taking unpaved tracks throught the fields overlooking some of the Kielce subburbs. The first I looped back clock wise finding myself on one of those major roads without any room for runners. However I noticed that the extra adrenaline generated by the passing traffic helps increasing speed to leave this stretch behind you as fast as possible. The second run I looped back the other way around on this more quite type of roads making the run more relaxed.
At the end of the week I decided to go running at the beginning of the Friday night. THrought the parcs and one of the main streets with cafes in the Polish capital off Warsaw. Nice to start ou in the green parcs to the south of the city center. Even better still explore the city center between the local people having there drinks in the bars and enjoying their Friday night. One advice: Take a quick sohwer after your urn and revisit Nowy Swiat to join the Locals and have a drink with the friendly people of Poland;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment