Next Run: Brussels 42K

2012-10-07 09:00:00 GMT+01:00

Rainradar

Click on the image or here for large image!

Thursday 16 August 2007

Sleep as part of your training

Rightly so about running asks the question if runners look at their sleeping habits.A good nights rest is as important for your fitness as is a training. That is why they refer to this site with 10 tips for a good sleep. The ten tips are:



  1. Light exersises: yoga or walking helps to lower stress levels. With me runnig works as well even relatively short before going to sleep I can run but I nkow this will not be the case for everyone For some sport in the evening can be killing to get to sleep (see point 10)

  2. Listening to music: Of course this should be the relaxing kind

  3. Cleaning up: It might sound crazy but this appears to be working but I think I skip this one

  4. Games instead of TV: Think of stress relieving memory games. Train your brain in the same time

  5. A bubble bath

  6. A massage: Lets hope your partner has the skills and can pay some extra attention to the muscles important to a runner

  7. Write in your journal: Empty your head by writing down thought or experiences. The blog is of course the modern journal

  8. Meditation: It relaxes, lower stress levels. I have it sometimes during running that it works like meditation. Repeating thoughts like a mantra or having a completely empty mind. Running is meditation to me.

  9. Sex: I the order of the tips is saying something about the effectiveness I think this one should be on number one. Everyone knows it helps against stress. You relax while doing your exercises from tip 1. Your body releases soothing hormones and it is healthy for your relationship as well...realy shouldn't it be on 1?

  10. Avoid arguments or stressful situations or stimulating activities. This can also be a TV show or film. Sport can also be stimulating (see also my remark about running at 1.) For me it was the case with volleybal.

I hope these tips might help to sleep better and improve your performance as a runner. Beauty of itis: some of the tips are useful for runners in the same time.

1 comment:

  1. ok, i agree. #9 should be moved to #1. great tips here. i'll make sure to use them before a race.

    ReplyDelete