Next Run: Brussels 42K

2012-10-07 09:00:00 GMT+01:00

Rainradar

Click on the image or here for large image!

Friday 14 September 2007

Running for your life



A while ago there was a nice item on CRN on close encounters from runners with animals, including a picture of a birdhit.


During my stay in Portugal I had a different experience where it were not the animals that created the danger but fellow humans. For your information: Hunting seasons is September to April and hunting is allowed on Sundays and Thursday. So guess what happened when I went running in the early morning of Sunday the 2nd of September. There was shooting all around as it was the first day for hunting that season! It made me feeling a bit uncomfortable. I decided tot stay on the normal road and not to use the dirt tracks through the field which was my original plan. My thoughts were that the hunters would take into account that there are other people on the road and people passing by in cars so the would not point their guns towards the road. I got home alive, unhit so it looked the my assumption was correct.....untill.....I was cleaning my shoes a day later and see what I found in the profile of my sole.....

on the top of my index finger is a lead pellet of buckshot which was on the road and got stuck under the sole of my shoe. Turns out: hunters also shoot in the direction of the road. I tell you, I never run again when hunting is going on! Maybe there is a hit in it for Paul Simon: "Buckshot on the sole of my shoes" with fado influences....

No comments:

Post a Comment